2019 STATE Social Impact Statement Instructions
Your Social Impact Initiative (formerly the Platform) will be the initiative on which you will promote during your Year of Service. This submission allows you to explain to the State judges your subject matter choice, how you choose to advocate for it during your year and the metrics for you see for success at the close of your Year of Service. In addition, it should explain how your advocacy will further your state organization.
Formatting your SIS
- Set margins for 1" on all four sides. The font style may not be any smaller than “10” and no larger than “12” point type using the Times New Roman font style.
- With the justification set for left, type “Name:” in bold. Following the colon (:), hit the space bar twice. Then, type your name.
- Move to the next line and type “Title:” in bold. Following the colon (:), hit the space bar twice. Then, type your Local title. Remember to change this each time you compete in a local competition. Don't embed the local title into the body of your platform.
- On the next line, set your justification to “center”. Then type in bold and underline the title of your social impact.
- On the next line after the Social Impact Title, write what you feel is critical for the judge’s to know about your social impact and why it is necessary for you to have this job to promote your issue. What you write will be what the judges know about your social impact, your role in successfully dealing with this issue, and the role the State Organization may play in your plan.
- This essay may include some of the following items (this is not to be meant as an exhaustive list):
- A clear definition of the social impact and the specific issues you wish to address
- A plan on how you have or will create awareness of the social impact
- The way in which you have or will change attitudes regarding the issue
- The way in which you have or will change behaviors related to this issue
- The way in which your social impact issue will move the State Organization forward
- Your media plans
- Your marketing strategy
- How you propose to fund your ideas/plans
- Any significant accomplishments you have made in regard to your issue’
- Social Impact statement is ONE PAGE only.
- At the bottom of the page, set the justification to the right. Type a line of 26 spaces. Below that line, type Signature/Date.
- Sign and date the Social Impact page. You can do this by printing to pdf and using the annotation feature to create a signature. Alternatively, print the document, sign/date it, then scan the signed copy.
- Turn the signed Social Impact Statement into the competition along with your Resume.